Saturday, January 15, 2011

O Holy Night





The mad-wrapping has ceased and the cookies and reindeer food are in place.
Now it is time to take it all in, my favorite moment of each year.
Christmas Eve has long been my favorite day of the year. As someone that enjoys wrapping gifts, curling ribbons, finding cute, unique gift tags, singing carols or listening to Christmas music, how could it not be my favorite day. The Candlelight Service is not only tradition, but it is my one gift to myself each year. I just really enjoy it. I love being in a room lit by candles where everyone is praising God and Jesus through song. It feels like He is in the room. Close.
I love that last minute preparation for something great, wonderful to come. I love running out to the car at 2am to retrieve an almost forgotten gift stashed in the trunk. While I'm out there, I always look up to the sky. Not for Santa, but still something magical. Never disappointing, there is always a stillness to the night that I can't explain, I can only take it in.
I love sitting in candlelight enjoying how beautiful the lights on the tree look and thinking about past Christmases and even future ones. For the past 10 years, Larry has been a part of this special moment. I like to think about him and where he is, and even go so far as to picture him still here with us enjoying this blessed time of year with Alyssa.

No comments: