Friday, January 7, 2011

That's Gonna Leave a Mark

I was sitting watching Jack scrimmage Stow when Charlie called annoyed saying that I should call Madison because he was at work and she just called saying she fell off the swing while at her friend's house. So, I gave her a call. She was talking pretty slowly, and seemed a bit...stupid, if you will. She said she was on the swingset and was swinging back when she fell off forward, landing on her face and shoulder. The mom got on and said she cleaned her up, but wanted her to call me because she told her that her vision was a little blurry. Everyone made it seem like no big deal.
This is what I saw when I arrived...




Needless to say, we took a trip to the ER because of her blurred vision and inability to concentrate or form sentences that didn't take 10 minutes to complete. She had a concussion along with all the abrasions. The swelling was so bad the first night that I could barely bring myself to look at her face and when I did I would bust out in tears. These pictures were taken several days later, with a hint of a black eye left. In the beginning, the eye was swollen shut. It's been about six months and she still has a bit of a scar, and when her face gets red, it gets white.

This was our summer of injuries. I have been lucky that the kids have never had any breaks or serious bruises...until this summer. Besides Madison's concussion, Baby cracked a rib at the playground while at Jackson's football practice on the monkey bars. Then after a practice, a kid pushed another kid and that kid's helmet hit Jackson in the mouth, chipping his permanent front tooth clear in half, requiring bonding and Charlie holding me back from beatin a mom's *&#! Seems to me, football was the common thread in all of these injuries. Hmmm...

1 comment:

Shannon said...

What the cuss! Looks like the swingset won that match.

I know her pain, though. I fell on the ice two weeks ago and hit my head so hard I thought I saw stars. It took a week before I could move my neck normally again.